There are many thousands of people around the country who are suffering in silence because they have missing teeth. People in this situation often feel socially isolated because they are ashamed of their teeth. They don’t want to smile, don’t want to pose for photos, and feel embarrassed and even depressed about the fact that have an incomplete smile. Such is the power of the human smile and our reliance on it during social interactions.
How Does It Happen?
It’s important to understand that there are a number of reasons that a person might have missing teeth. In fact, in previous generations many people had missing teeth, partly due to the prevalence of poverty, malnutrition, and lack of dental care. These days, we understand all too well the benefits of good dental health and good dental care.
So, why might someone have one or more missing teeth? Consider the following:
- Dental health: Of course, dental health matters when it comes to missing or damaged teeth. A person who does not visit the dentist on a regular basis has a higher chance of developing oral and dental health issues than someone who does visit often. In many cases, missing teeth may be caused in this regard by cavities that develop to damaged and decayed teeth that need to be removed.
- Injuries: Whether sporting or otherwise, a hit to the teeth can certainly crack, damage, or knock them right out. Many footballers face dental injuries due to high impact collisions, but even children who fall over in the school yard are prone to having teeth cracked, chopped, or knocked out completely.
- Medical: There are some serious medications that can cause loss of bone density and loss of teeth. In fact, people who undergo some types of cancer treatment are at higher risk of losing their teeth.
- Pregnancy: During a woman’s pregnancy, the body prioritises nutrition for the growing baby, but this sometimes results in a loss of bone density, which can affect teeth. Many pregnant women find that they have damaged or loose teeth afterwards. The good news is that Central Periodontics & Dental Implants can help with this.
How About Dental Implants?
Dental implants are the gold standard when it comes to replacing missing teeth. They offer the following advantages:
- Durable: Though other solutions, such as dentures, may be less expensive, dental implants are far more durable and long-lasting. In fact, with the right care and maintenance they can certainly last for a lifetime. This makes them a really cost effective tooth replacement solution.
- Natural: Dental implants look natural and feel just like normal teeth. It means that the person who has them can eat and do anything else just as they would with their natural teeth, all without having to worry about cavities.
If you have one or more missing teeth, you don’t need to be ashamed any longer. There are a number of treatments that can address this and give you your smile back.